We’re committed to making our work accessible to ensure that everyone can enjoy a high-quality theatre experience. Find useful information about our upcoming performances, services and partner venues to help plan your visit.
Get in touch
For further information about our accessible performances and services please contact:
Phone: 0113 223 3600
Opera North Box Office
32 New Briggate
Leeds, LS1 6NU
Access Membership Scheme
If you have any access requirements you can sign up to our Access Membership Scheme. Members can book online for Opera North performances in Leeds Grand Theatre, Leeds Town Hall and the Howard Assembly Room with any associated discounts, including free essential companion tickets. With the information you supply we can find you appropriate seats quickly and easily over the phone or in person, and keep you updated on all things access-related at Opera North if you choose.
Download the application form as a Word Doc and as a PDF. If you require any additional support in completing your application, please get in touch. If you feel unable to complete the application in writing we are happy to arrange a phone or video call with a member of our team to record your details verbally.
We provide audio introductions for all our productions. These describe the set and costumes, the story, and list the cast and creative teams, and the dates and venues of performances. They are available on the production page usually two working days after the opening night.
If you require any more information, brochures or documents in alternative formats such as large-print, audio or braille, please contact our Access Manager, Daoud Al-Janabi at email@example.com
We offer audio-described, signed, captioned and dementia friendly performances. Click on the icons below to see a list of upcoming dates and venues.
Visitors can borrow a headset to hear a live description of what’s happening visually on the stage as it happens.
The full text as it is sung or spoken, including sound effects, is displayed on two screens either side of the stage.
A comfortable and supportive environment where people with dementia and their families or carers can enjoy live performance.
- When entering the building there are six steps from the street up to the foyer, or a wheelchair lift from the Leeds Grand Theatre Box Office to the foyer.
- Lift access is available to the rest of the auditorium, excluding the Upper Balcony.
- Some areas of the auditorium do have steep stairs and may not be suitable for people with limited mobility. Please contact our Box Office for details at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 0113 223 3600.
- There are 10 wheelchair spaces: 6 in the Stalls and 4 in the Dress Circle.
- Accessible toilets are available at Stalls and Dress Circle levels. The accessible toilet at Stalls (ground) level is down the corridor to the right as you enter the foyer, just beyond the lift.
- There is an infra-red system in operation for sound amplification. Headsets are available from the Grand Theatre foyer for a £5 refundable deposit. Please ask Box Office staff when booking for advice on the best seats to use this service
- Support dogs are welcome in the auditorium and can be looked after on request
- For refreshments, there are bars at Stalls, Upper Circle and Balcony levels. Food and drink is not permitted in the auditorium, except for small bottles of water. If you have medicines, food or drink to manage a medical condition, please let us know in advance so we can inform Front of House staff.
- The venue is open one hour before performances, and you will need to show your ticket on entry to the foyer. There may be bag checks, and you could be asked to leave very large bags in the cloak room, at a cost of £1. This is situated up the first flight of stairs on your right as you enter the dress circle, or Floor 1 in the lift.
- Find out how to get here and parking information at Leeds Grand Theatre website.
- Wheelchair access to Leeds Town Hall is available through the entrance at ground level at the front of the building
- A number of spaces in the auditorium are reserved for wheelchair users
- Accessible toilet facilities are available at all levels
- Support dogs are welcome
- The venue is equipped with a closed loop system for the hard of hearing
- Find out how to get here and parking information at Leeds Town Hall website.
- There are two wheelchair spaces, but this can be increased if more are required.
- You can access the venue through the new Howard Assembly Room foyer on New Briggate.
- There is a platform lift to get into the atrium and a front of house lift which goes to all floors (number 2 for Stalls, number 3 for Gallery).
- Two Wheelchair accessible toilets are available on Level 1 of the Howard Assembly Room.
- Support dogs are welcome in the venue and can be looked after on request.
- For parking information and how to get to the Howard Assembly Room visit the Howard Assembly Room Access page.
- Read or listen to our guide notes for getting to and around the Howard Assembly Room.
Find access information via our touring venue websites.