Frequently Asked Questions
Who can apply?
Outstanding young musicians aged 14–19 in school years 10–13 from across the north of England and beyond who play an orchestral instrument to Grade 7+ level:
- Strings: violin, viola, cello, double bass
- Woodwind: flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon
- Brass: horn, trumpet, trombone
We encourage applications from secondary school students, first year students in higher education and anyone aged 19 and below.
What can I expect on audition day?
Auditions can be nerve-wracking, so we aim to make ours fun and informal, helping you to perform at your best and get the most out of the audition experience.
Led by players from the Orchestra of Opera North (they’re a friendly bunch!) your audition will be in two parts:
- An informal workshop; playing pre-prepared orchestral excerpts and learning about working together as part of an orchestral section
- An individual audition with the same players from the Orchestra of Opera North
Everyone will benefit from feedback in the morning workshop on orchestral excerpts and receive insights on playing as part of an orchestra section. We believe everyone should have the chance to develop their practice and performance skills, and have a positive audition experience, whatever the outcome.
Are there bursaries available?
We want to ensure that costs do not create a barrier to taking part and are able to offer bursary places to successful applicants from families in challenging circumstances. Please indicate on your application form if you would like to be considered for a bursary place.